Kia Ora from New Zealand!
I'm currently in Dunedin, a nice university city with a scottish history. The last days have been quite wet as it was raining a lot. The last time I had very good weather was on the Kepler track, which was superb. Had it been raining or very cloudy it would have been a lot less enjoyable. Unfortunately I had to skip my planned boat cruise on the Milford Sound or Doubtful sound because of the weater. Well, at least I was there.
Instead I drove down the southern coast, through Invercargill, the Catlins and now in Dunedin. I'm still travelling with Lydia whom I met on the Routeburn track.
To be honest, I really miss those multi-day hikes and I can't wait for the next one, although I don't have much time left in New Zealand. Hiking 6-8 hours a day, arriving at a hut in the late afternoon with sore legs and feet and jumping into the cold water of a lake or river, and getting up early in the morning for the next day's walk is just a unique experience. I even try to bring a small bit of luxury items on the track, such as some chocolate, one or two cans of beer or even a bottle of wine. After a long days walk it tastes so much better ;)
My original plan was to wrap up my stay on the south island and head back to the north island, but I want to do as much hiking as possible in the last two weeks. So we're heading towards Mt.Cook tomorrow and plan a 2-day hike up the Mueller Hut (at 1800m) which includes climbing the summit of Mt.Ollivier (1917m). This track goes right up to the snow area and is a bit more challenging as we might need to hire crampons and ice axes. Sounds like an adventure!
If there's time afterwards I'd like to go back to the Nelson Lakes National Park and do a 2-3 day hike there. I've planned this initially a few weeks ago after the Abel Tasman Track, but weather was too bad then. Hopefully this I have more luck.
That's it for now! Today we're going to the Speight's Brewery for a tour, including sampling some of their beers :) Before that (to make Lydia happy) we're doing a tour of the Cadbury's chocolate factory. After that a quick visit to the university and the steepest road!
- - - - -
Wie schon in der email erzaehlt, bin ich momentan in Dunedin, einer schoenen Studentenstadt mit schottischen Hintergrund. In den letzten Tagen nach dem Kepler Track gabs viel Regen, von daher konnte ich die Milford Sounds Bootstour nicht machen. Stattdessen sind Lydia und ich an die Suedkueste gefahren, nach Invercargill, durch die Catlins und schliesslich hier in Dunedin.
Irgendwie vermisse ich die mehrtaegigen Wanderungen, die ich in den letzten Tagen/Wochen gemacht habe - man kann sich schnell daran gewoehnen. Man wandert jeden Tag 6-8 Stunden, kommt nachmittags mit mueden Beinen und Fuessen an der Huette an und springt ins kalte Wasser eines Sees oder eines Flusses (wenn einer da ist) und kocht sich dann was leckeres zu essen. Morgens gehts dann wieder frueh raus zum naechsten Wandertag. Die Abende in den Huetten sind auch immer sehr schoen. Meistens sitzt man dann zusammen, kocht sich Kaffee oder Tee oder was zu essen und unterhaelt sich. Oder man liest ein Buch (entweder mit Taschenlampe oder Kerzen). Die meisten gehen zwischen 21 und 22 Uhr ins Bett, weil man einfach so muede ist vom Wandern und auch wegen der frischen Luft vermutlich. Ich nehme auch immer gerne ein paar Luxus-Sachen mit, wie z.B. Schokokekse, ein zwei Dosen Bier oder sogar mal eine Flasche Wein. Nach einem anstregenden Wandertag schmeckt sowas viel besser als sonst ;)
Urspruenglich hatte ich geplant, so langsam die Zelte auf der Suedinsel abzubrechen und wieder auf die Nordinsel um in etwa 1,5 Wochen wieder in Auckland zu sein. Ich habe aber festgestellt, dass ich doch noch ein wenig Wandern moechte, von daher fahren wir morgen Richtung Mt.Cook, um dort eine 2-Tages-Wanderung zu machen, zur Mueller Hut (1800m) und auf den Mt.Ollivier (1917m) zu klettern. Das geht schon vermutlich an die Schneegrenze heran, von daher werden wir uns evtl. Eispickel und Krampen mitnehmen muessen. Hoert sich jedenfalls abenteuerlich an :)
Falls danach noch Zeit ist, wollte ich noch zu den Nelson Lakes National Park - was ich urspruenglich nach dem Abel Tasman Track machen wollte. Hoffentlich ist das Wetter diesmal besser.
So, heute werden wir in Dunedin noch ein wenig was unternehmen, zuerst zur Cadburys Schokoladenfabrik und anschliessend zur Speights Brauerei. Dazwischen werden wir uns noch die Uni angucken und die steilste Strasse (der Welt?)
Viele Gruesse,
Tom
Tuesday, 3 April 2007
Deep South
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment